singapore: the smallest big galery
home » forum » Mods » sexy drag-n-drop gallery ordering, custom thumbnail cropper (test)

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Mods
  •  » sexy drag-n-drop gallery ordering, custom thumbnail cropper (test)

#1 2006-09-30 06:51:44

Egypt Urnash

sexy drag-n-drop gallery ordering, custom thumbnail cropper (test)

***THIS IS NOT A FUNCTIONING MOD***

I'm just throwing it out there to see if people think this is an avenue worth pursuing.

It's some modifications to the admin templates that give you a cute thumbnail cropper (hidden in the 'edit image' page; hit the 'edit thumbnail' link to pop it open and closed), and let you reorder/delete images by dragging and dropping in the album view.

Don't worry about accidentally changing the order or deleting images; nothing is wired up. If you hit the 'undo changes' button everything resumes its original order; if I go forwards with this there will be a 'save changes' button as well, which will bring you to an image move/delete confirmation screen.

In my own installation, the thumbnail cropper works, due to my alterations to thumbnail.class - but I haven't folded these into the cvs, so it's just a demo for anyone else.

Usage: unzip this into your templates, and then set admin_template_name in singapore.ini to "admin_fancy".

Plusses:
* hey, arbitrary thumbnail cropping!
* edit links under every image in the album view
* reorganize/delete images from the album view
* drag-n-drop is fun!

Minuses:
* not everyone has javascript enabled and this does not degrade gracefully
* the cropper uses a small dhtml library while the album reorganization uses a much larger one
* gallery reorganization is not prettied up yet
* none of it will actually work for you
* it's not internationalized
* the cropper is based on code that has no license attached; the album draggy stuff uses scriptaculous, which uses the MIT license; neither may be compatible with the GPL.
* only tested on Safari and Firefox. Dragging into the move/delete bins looks weird on FF.

Last edited by Egypt Urnash (2006-09-30 07:09:10)

#2 2006-09-30 22:01:54

Egypt Urnash

Re: sexy drag-n-drop gallery ordering, custom thumbnail cropper (test)

script.aculo.us is a huge download due to its monolithic nature and its many attempts to turn Javascript into Ruby. This would be good if Singapore was written in Ruby. But it is not, so s.a.u introduces yet <i>another</i> syntax to the already-confusing task of adding some JS features to a PHP project.

Meanwhile, the Yahoo! UI library is highly-modular, does not seem to try to turn Javascript into another language entirely, also offers multiple-container drag-and-drop, and comes with pre-compressed versions of its modules. It's BSD license though.

#3 2006-10-07 04:57:06

rossh
Developer

I've been using moo.FX for some experimental Modern stuff... It's another prototype derivative... its lite, but might not be silky smooth... s.a.u does feel quite heavy though..

#4 2006-10-27 05:15:32

Egypt Urnash

YUI isn't prototype-derived. I haven't decided if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Moo.fx seems to just be about resize/fade kinds of transitions, rather than the drag-n-drop I'm playing with here...

I also haven't done any more work on this little experiment, aside from a very slight refinement to the behavior of the zoom slider on the thumbnail cropper. I really should try once more to get in touch with the original author of that zoom widget, and wrap my thumbnail crop code up to submit back to Singapore - I can't be the only person who'd like to have custom crops of her thumbnails.

Last edited by Egypt Urnash (2006-10-27 05:21:28)

#5 2007-01-13 19:30:28

lian

No your are not :-)

#6 2007-01-28 05:46:49

eddiejanzer

just for the record, I think this is really cool.  I played around with it in admin, and it broke my heart when I realized it wasn't "wired" in.

#7 2009-08-12 14:53:39

Shu
Banned

hello! smile

Any updates, guys?
Has anyone made such a mod?

#8 2010-07-08 08:35:26

jerick28

This would be good if Singapore was written in Ruby. But it is not, so s.a.u introduces yet <i>another</i> syntax to the already-confusing task of adding some JS features to a PHP project.I played around with it in admin, and it broke my heart when I realized it wasn't "wired" in.

#9 2011-03-18 08:01:22

Hi guys any updates on this?

#10 2011-03-27 17:18:14

DC
Administrator

None these guys realy dod not post much lately.

Please when posting please post somthing that contributes to helping others on the forum do not just post to post.

Thanks DC

To code or not to code that is the question?

Did my response help you out? Consider donating by buying me a slice, Whats this? Read More!
http://www.clickcraft.net/slice.php

• Index
  •  » Mods
  •  » sexy drag-n-drop gallery ordering, custom thumbnail cropper (test)