singapore: the smallest big galery
home » forum » News Archive » gallery, subgallery naming confusion

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-11 00:21:27

tamlyn
Lead Developer

gallery, subgallery naming confusion

Some users have pointed out that the naming convention used by singapore (galleries, albums, subgalleries etc.) can be a little confusing. In the early days there was no convention but in v0.9.9 some effort was made at consistency. Here is what the readme currently has to say on the matter:

Installation
    an installation of singapore is contained within a website. It is usually in its own separate directory and contains one gallery: the root gallery.
Gallery
    a gallery is contained within an installation (if it is the root gallery) or another gallery (in which case it is a subgallery and the containing gallery is called the parent). Galleries may contain more galleries and also images.
Album
    an album is a special case of gallery that contains exactly zero subgalleries and zero or more images.
    an image is contained within an album or a gallery.
Root gallery
    There is only one root gallery and it is not contained within any other galleries. It is located directly in the directory specified by the pathto_galleries option. It is sometimes referred to with a single dot (.).
Subgallery, Parent gallery
    these are relative terms.

This seems fairly clear to me with the exception that subgalleries would probably be better referred to as child galleries since a gallery is only a subgallery when you are talking about it's parent.

What do y'all think?

#2 2004-10-11 09:43:09

Re: gallery, subgallery naming confusion

Hello Tamlyn and Singapore users et al.

I think the actual structure is brilliant, but perhaps it could be described better. You mention the installation and then the rest of the elements drilling down, and then at the end of the quote you re-mention the root gallery as a separate element.  This is a little confusing... Perhaps you could describe it like this instead...

SINGAPORE DIRECTORY STRUCTURE

ROOT DIRECTORY:

Installing Singapore on your server creates what is called the root directory. This directory can house one or more galleries (with each gallery in turn being able to contain numerous subgalleries). The root directory is housed at the location specified by the pathto_galleries setting. It can be referred to in URLs with a single dot (.).

GALLERY:

A gallery is located in a folder contained in the Singapore directory structure. You can configure this gallery to contain the imagery you wish to exhibit, or it can be further divided into subgalleries.

SUB-GALLERY:

A subgallery is a section of a larger gallery which contains your exhibited imagery.

ALBUM:

An album is any folder which contains only images and no subsections. Therfore, a gallery could essentially be called an album if it is not divided into subgalleries.

EXAMPLE:

You have two series of photographs you wish to exhibit. One series contains photographs from three separate holidays to New York, London, and Paris. The other series contains photographs of your cat, Jasper. The structure would be like so:

Root Directory: Contains two folders - one called "my_holidays" and the other called "jasper".

Galleries: In the case of the gallery called "my_holidays" the folder contains three folders called "new_york", "london" and "paris". In the case of "jasper" it simply contains images.

Subgalleries: In the three subgallery folders for "my_holidays" are images - "new_york" contains images of New York; "london" contains images of London; "paris" contains images of Paris. The gallery "jasper" contains no subgalleries.

Albums: There are essentially 4 albums in this gallery collection. The albums are "new_york", "london" and "paris" (which are subgalleries) and "jasper" which is a gallery.

+

This is probably not a perfect description but I hope it helps! Apologies if I got anything wrong.

Emme

#3 2004-10-11 11:18:46

Yes, I think elphantclouds descprition is a lot clearer.
Although I am wondering why we cannot just get rid of the Album term? And call it sub-gallery that just contains no further sub-galleries?

#4 2004-10-11 12:20:48

tamlyn
Lead Developer

Thanks, I'll have a read through that when I'm not so tired.

The need for an 'album' term arises from the way they are treated by singapore. albums are displayed by album.tpl.php while non-album galleries are displayed by gallery.tpl.php. Similarly there are album thumbs and gallery thumbs.

#5 2004-10-14 01:35:23

tamlyn
Lead Developer

Here is an updated explanation:

Installation
    an installation of singapore is contained within a website. It is usually in its own separate directory and contains one gallery: the root gallery.
Root gallery
    There is only one root gallery and it is not contained within any other galleries. It is located directly in the directory specified by the pathto_galleries option. It is usually referred to in URLs with a single dot (as in ?gallery=.).
Gallery
    a gallery is contained within another gallery (except the root gallery which is contained in an installation). Galleries may contain more galleries and also images.
Album
    an album is a special case of gallery that it contains exactly zero galleries and zero or more images. In other words a gallery is called an album when it does not have any child galleries. So an album is a gallery but a gallery is not an album in much the same way that a kitchen is a room but a room is not a kitchen.
    an image is contained within an album or a gallery. Due to the way singapore operates, images will only be displayed if they are in albums since any images in non-album galleries will be hidden.
Child gallery (also known as subgallery)
    this is a relative term. A child gallery is one contained within the gallery currently being viewed or edited. There may be zero or more.
Parent gallery
    this is a relative term. The parent gallery is the one which contains the gallery currently being viewed or edited. There is always exactly one (except in the case of the root gallery which has no parent).

Any better? I will eventually update all references to "subgallery" in the code to "child gallery".