singapore: the smallest big galery
home » forum » Lounge » Phantom gallery

You are not logged in.

#31 2009-05-04 21:48:05

JW

Re: Phantom gallery

ok I have just tried to use my old header.tpl.php & the site is back to right width, but the gallery is low down the page & the css isn't back, but getting there.

I really am guessing at this & worry I'll forget where i'm going?? Any suggestions on getting the gallery back to the top of the page please for one?

Really appreciate this.

#32 2009-05-04 21:53:19

DC
Administrator

Must be using the css for the layout control as the neat template should fit right in so you will need to figure out why that is, but the good news is the neat template does work and keeps it all nice and neat :-)

However it blows your layout so that will take some testing and experimentation beyond that of this forum, I would ask your designer to redo it with Neat as to me it just makes more sense.

If you could fix the crazy layout it should work great, right of the bat you have to change the way the footers and headers work for the template, as you allready have headers and footers in the main page so you cant have them again ... see how he edited the other templates header and footer and maybe go from there based on what the other designer did.

DC

To code or not to code that is the question?

Did my response help you out? Consider donating by buying me a slice, Whats this? Read More!
http://www.clickcraft.net/slice.php

#33 2009-05-04 22:09:38

JW

Don't understand the significance of this but my top category is now
http://www.acard4u.co.uk/gallery.php?gallery=.
and same place before was
http://www.acard4u.co.uk/gallery.php?

Where is the gallery=. coming from or is that part of the new template. (which looks fab & will be super fab when all the wrinkles ironed out lol) Just wondering if this is causing the white space at the top.

Will keep winmerging.

#34 2009-05-04 22:47:37

DC
Administrator

I think your getting somewhere. I think we both agree that my template is the better choice, but that said you will need to get it to work the way your other dev set it up, so it all works correctly ... all I was doing is trying to get you in a direction where it would write the correct cell data, your other way was not working at all ...

So I would say youir on the right track but it does need work ...

Did my response help you out? Consider donating by buying me a slice, Whats this? Read More!

#35 2009-05-04 22:56:33

JW

DC wrote:

Must be using the css for the layout control as the neat template should fit right in so you will need to figure out why that is, but the good news is the neat template does work and keeps it all nice and neat :-)

However it blows your layout so that will take some testing and experimentation beyond that of this forum, I would ask your designer to redo it with Neat as to me it just makes more sense.

If you could fix the crazy layout it should work great, right of the bat you have to change the way the footers and headers work for the template, as you allready have headers and footers in the main page so you cant have them again ... see how he edited the other templates header and footer and maybe go from there based on what the other designer did.

DC

time delay/cyber delay i didn't see this post ...sorry.

I wish I could ask him but paid & he hasn't responded after initial install? sad

I will checkout the two files though. If it's ok I'll let you know how i'm going as if i am sooo close & a little prod in the right direction will help me the better.

I think the header may get rid of white space as you say but the last bit getting the main site css back onto this page may take me longer.

#36 2009-05-04 23:01:36

JW

smile didn't see your previous post & last post I wrote hasn't shown...probably me getting tierd!
Definately better template. Will look at header too as that may be creating the white space?
I wish I could as the other person, but once paid they haven't answered my emails:(
Oh well if I can move gallery up it's just the site css on the gallery page to sort out:
Will keep plodding on.
Let you know if i suceed ...many thanks for help.

#37 2009-05-04 23:10:14

DC
Administrator

OK good luck let us know how it goes? I think your close so maybe just a little bit of tweaking and work should get you to where you need to be.

DC

#38 2009-05-05 04:19:07

PrimaFoto

Hey JW,
Just doing some analysis on your site and I see some issues with CSS and some html issues:

~ yes use Neat2 as a template - your galleries do not have the proper CSS and in some cases no CSS

~ on a 24" monitor the header is left justified and contents is center justified

~ get rid of:

Code:

<div id="seo">UK Craft Supplies,Card Making,Scrapbooking &amp; Rubber Stamping Supplies. 12x12,8x8,6x6 paper,Bazzill,Dufex,Jolly (Paper) Nation Decoupage,Bind-It-All,Clear Magic Stamps,Cuttlebug,Embossing Folders,Punches,Templates,Fabric Motifs,Chipboard,Peel Offs &amp; more.</div>

Put this info in a meta tag

~ the large amount of space at the top may be caused by td to set text to top (<td valign="top">------</td>)
~ try not to have spaces or special charters in Sgal too:

Code:

<div class="sgNavBar">
<a href="gallery.php?gallery=Card%20Making%20Gallery&amp;image=Just%20Wanted%20to%20Say%20...%20Thanks.jpg">Previous</a> |  
<a href="gallery.php?gallery=Card%20Making%20Gallery&amp;startat=12">Thumbnails</a> 
 | <a href="gallery.php?gallery=Card%20Making%20Gallery&amp;image=Thanks%20from%20little%20one.jpg">Next</a></div>

In general I think you will elimate a lot of issues if you get the Neat2 template as DC has suggested.

To do better CSS anaylysis dowload Web Developer 1.1.6 for FireFox - it is very valuable
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

A Junior Scientist of the SGAL - Lab
http://sgal-lab.primaveraphoto.com

#39 2009-05-05 16:13:42

JW

Thanks PF smile

The line you pointed to relates to this in the main gallery.php file

<td width="100%" valign="top">
<?php require_once('gallery/external.php'); ?>
    </td>

I tried to add <tr> as it didn't have one, took out the <td> altogether & also commented out the

<!-- header //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header.php'); ?>
<!-- header_eof //-->

from the page, but it didn't have much affect & certainly didn't get rid of the white space.

I have the old main.css & header.tpl.ini uploaded as it put the site back to "normal"

Completely at a loss now?

~ yes use Neat2 as a template - your galleries do not have the proper CSS and in some cases no CSS

Not sure what you mean sorry.

~ try not to have spaces or special charters in Sgal too:

? does this mean all titles can only be single words?

Downloaded Firefox & the add on, but that cannot open?
I seewhat you mean about the header left & rest center.  Also main page is missing the text, but not on other pages?
I am struggling to keep it together for IE, but will add this to the list of things to do/search for answers etc

So far all self taught apart from the two helps mentioned.

The SEO div at the top was to get relevant key words at the very top but seen.  I have header tags so not sure the meta tags would add any more.Will check out that & the firefox issues after fixing the gallery...I hope lol

Any suggestions on what to do with the
(<td valign="top">------</td>) please?

Thanks for looking & analysing smile

#40 2009-05-05 16:28:16

DC
Administrator

SGAL can be picky as to what you name a file so its best that a file not be written as my file.jpg but rather be written as my_file.jpg if you do a space you will probably not see the image. Servers really do not like spaces in file names either so best bet underscore also slight bug that can be fixed Have to get back to you on that however is the use of & in names do not do that if you must, then write it as and for now.

Also I was thinking the huge space is caused by your css as it only happens at the end of the page load do me a fave change the name or comment out the css call so I can see if the space goes away, yes I know the page will have no style thats what im after to run this test. If the space closes its in the file and you will need to mod it somwere to fix the problem but this will at least tell us if its in your css file.

DC

#41 2009-05-05 17:29:15

JW

Sorry had to pop out to pick up daughter.

I'm not sure if I have this right, but only file in template I can find pointing to main.css is in the header.tpl.php & I can't seem to comment out the top line?

Tried// and <!--

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo $sg->config->base_url.$sg->config->pathto_current_template ?>main.css" />
<table width="100%" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
  <tr>
    <td style="padding: 4px 20px 20px 20px;">
  <tr>
    <td class="main" style="border: 1px solid #35459e; padding: 10px;">
<?php echo $sg->navigationLinks(); ?>

<?php
//echo $sg->languageFlipper();
//echo $sg->templateFlipper();
?>

<div id="crumb"><?php echo $sg->crumbLine(); ?></div>

<!-- start of generated content -->

Sorry for not getting this? sad

#42 2009-05-05 17:51:06

JW

OK Just commented out in index.tpl.php

//include header file

//include $sg->config->base_path.$sg->config->pathto_current_template."header.tpl.php";
(end of line is there just isn't showing here on forum?)

and it's changed.

At top but missing you are here etc

What do you think?

Last edited by JW (2009-05-05 17:52:51)

#43 2009-05-05 18:07:50

DC
Administrator

Well the good thing is now the space is gone so might be best to just add some of the css that controls the SGAL to your main css seperated with comments so you know thats for the SGAL template the tables are really a bit of a mess from what I see but as you can't get the other guy to get back to you you might try just adding the css that makes the gallery look good make sure you add the css that makes the fonts smaller as there too big and take up the tables cells right now.

You will need to experiment a bit but should be doable.

Thats my 2 cents on this as althogh its not perfect that cahnge did get rid of your space so i would not use the css directly and just use whats needed to make your layout work and look good.

DC

#44 2009-05-05 18:42:35

JW

JW wrote:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo $sg->config->base_url.$sg->config->pathto_current_template ?>main.css" />
  <tr>
    <td style="padding: 4px 20px 20px 20px;">
  <tr>
    <td class="main" style="border: 1px solid #35459e; padding: 10px;">
<?php echo $sg->navigationLinks(); ?>

<?php
//echo $sg->languageFlipper();
//echo $sg->templateFlipper();
?>

<div id="crumb"><?php echo $sg->crumbLine(); ?></div>

<!-- start of generated content -->

So because I commented out this file & the gallery is back at the top, does that mean that the white space problem lies here?

How would I get the navigationLinks & CrumbLines back?

EDITED! added a div I have seen in the scource to the site css & it appears to be working...just need to find what the rest I need (only) are called lol

Sorry unsure of the paths & files needed for each page.

Would it be ok to go to my ftp & change all the spaces in my image files from a space to _ and & to and?

Thanks for that tip ;o)

I know I keep saying it but thanks for your help.

Last edited by JW (2009-05-05 18:50:29)

#45 2009-05-05 18:56:54

DC
Administrator

Sorry, I meant only the css call not the table data if its the table data then you will need to edit it all to work and the css i was thinking was the css that controls the site not the css just for sgal thers a master css that controls the whole site but anyway you need to see is it a css issue or a table issue or both.

Hard to say now as you say you commented out the table data when only I wanted the css call commented out.

so if your just removing the SGAL css it would be

<!--<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo $sg->config->base_url.$sg->config->pathto_current_template ?>main.css" />-->

There are many issues with this site but lets just see if we can get it to work with the template ... it seemed close but will need work. I have never had anu problems integrating the template into a design so its odd it messes your site up which makes me think its in the site it self.

I dont see it as a solid structure with cells to hold the data it seems its many sperate tables that realy dont line up correctly at all there should really be one main container table if its built in a table that will hold all the other tables and data but thats not what it seems to be.

I think if you paid this guy he should realy help or fix what he did to work with the correct template that to me is the right thing to do.  I always try and fix somthing thats not working as it should for my clients. and in my opin and from what you have told me it didnt work as it should from the get go so he should fix it and do it correctly thats my opin on this whole thing.

DC