singapore: the smallest big galery
home » forum » News Archive » where to store thumbnails

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-17 18:57:48

tamlyn
Lead Developer

where to store thumbnails

This has been discussed before but I would like to establish once and for all what the general view is on this.

For technical reasons we cannot store all the thumbnails in a single directory as is currently the case with the data/cache/ directory. The plan is, therefore, to save the thumbnails for each gallery inside that gallery in a folder called _thumbs. these thumbs directories will not appear as galleries since singapore will ignore directory names starting with an underscore (as it currently does those starting with a dot).

One possible problem with this is for servers that restrict access to files that are writable or force you to store all writable content outside of the web tree (such as SourceForge.net). For this purpose I propose the option of putting the whole galleries/ directory outside of the web tree and using a relay.php file whose job it will be to fetch these items for display (much as thumb.php currently does).

Please vote above and/or comment below. Thanks smile

#2 2005-10-04 22:41:52

Re: where to store thumbnails

Let me explain: I want to run two sections of a gallery with two different skins/templates all driven by the same singapore installation. One is 2004->albums->gallery and other is 2005->albums->gallery. So when a visitor goes to a page which pulls up 2004, will see it rendered with 2004.template and 2005 will show with 2005.template Currently it has to be done with two separate installations.

Also has to make sure that the 'Up' link does not go all the way upto 2004/2005 when linked from albums folder.

#3 2005-10-05 06:06:35

tamlyn
Lead Developer

You can set the template per gallery using a gallery.ini or a singapore.local.ini file (when using external.php) but as you noticed you will end up with an extra 'up' link. This has been addressed in the next version so it is possible to set the pathto_galleries independantly in two singapore.local.ini files using the same installation.

#4 2005-10-05 15:26:06

Just downloaded the CVS version and going to play with it. Thanks for the good work.

#5 2005-10-11 07:39:00

For technical reasons we cannot store all the thumbnails in a single directory as is currently the case with the data/cache/ directory. The plan is, therefore, to save the thumbnails for each gallery inside that gallery in a folder called _thumbs.

I'd prefer to see separate cache directory as it was before with replicated galleries structure. new gallery = new cach directory with the same name, i.g. /gallery/flowers/ corresponds to /cache/flowers/. The reason for it is separation of real data and generated data, so as I can quickly remove cache and regenerate it in case I want to change thumbnails size. Or just for backup purpose.

#6 2005-10-11 16:08:51

tamlyn
Lead Developer

I understand you point however the metadata files are stored with the galleries and so are the hit log files (as of v0.10.0). In addition, having the thumbnails with the galleries makes it easier to move galleries via FTP/shell (although of course the thumbnails would be regenerated anyway). There will be a "purge cache" option in the web admin for individual galleries and for all galleries too.

I hadn't thought about backup though - I suppose most people would not want to backup their thumbnail cache if storage space is at a premium. Hmmm.

#7 2005-10-11 16:44:48

grantangi

The way to cache the thumbs in subdirectories of the actual galleries seems to be easier and gives the advantage of being able to delete the thumbs with the gallery...without switching paths.

But one thing I realized on the modified cvs version for my site is...to turn thumbnail caching off...or rather make it optional.

For that I added the option:

thumb_cache = (on|off)

to singapore.ini and modified some files to reflect on that option. The modified files are:

thumb.php
includes/image.class.php
includes/thumbnail.class.php
includes/utils.class.php

That way it is possible to turn thumbnail caching off when storage space is limited (like in my case)...or turned on...for users who can and want the improved speed of the cache...

#8 2005-10-12 12:57:33

vdb_

tamlyn wrote:

I understand you point however the metadata files are stored with the galleries and so are the hit log files (as of v0.10.0).

If you leave metadata in the gallery folder, you don't achive you goals and you don't solve the original problem: "servers that restrict access to files that are writable or force you to store all writable content outside of the web tree". I think you have to move metadata outside the gallery folder too. Then you get an additional feature, btw... Galleries can be served from non writable media -- CD/DVD.

#9 2005-10-12 18:57:12

tamlyn
Lead Developer

metadata will always be stored with the galleries. That's one of the original features of singapore. It does not affect the ability to store the galleries outside of the web tree as the metadata is never read directly by the browser. Furthermore serving any web content off removable storage media, let alone optical storage, seems to me to be a very bad idea...

#10 2005-10-13 14:43:05

vdb_

tamlyn wrote:

Furthermore serving any web content off removable storage media, let alone optical storage, seems to me to be a very bad idea...

What's wrong with serving images from removable storage? I have a lot of DVD with photos. I'd like to have a possibility to attach them temporary to the existing gallery tree or as a standalone gallery. It will be cool feature!

#11 2009-11-12 09:18:08

jaronetaylor

after ripping a new CD to my computer using Windows Media Player I got a folder with all the songs. looking at the folder from one level up in thumbnail view, the folder showed a thumbnailed picture of the album cover. where does Windows keep this image? I want to use it.

Last edited by jaronetaylor (2009-11-12 09:19:20)

#12 2009-11-17 17:36:18

DC
Administrator

Sorry your post has nothing to do with SGAL the scripts, This forum is only for users of the SGAL script.

DC

To code or not to code that is the question?

Did my response help you out? Consider donating by buying me a slice, Whats this? Read More!
http://www.clickcraft.net/slice.php