singapore: the smallest big galery
home » forum » News Archive » singapore 0.9.9 released

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-18 01:51:05

tamlyn
Lead Developer

singapore 0.9.9 released

It is now a little over a year since singapore was first released on SourceForge.net. In that time it has grown from a simple script used on a single site to a fully fledged image gallery used on thousands of sites around the world. But you don't want to know about that...

#2 2004-05-18 02:35:45

tamlyn
Lead Developer

Re: singapore 0.9.9 released

Before you rush off to download v0.9.9 let me say that it has not been extensively tested and is likely to be more buggy than v0.9.8 (which was surprisingly stable) so upgrade at your own risk and ALWAYS BACK UP!

singapore 0.9.9 is a bumper feature laden release that implements one of the first and most frequently requested features: bulk image uploading (using ZIP files). Also new is mod_rewrite support, fixed size and aspect ratio thumbnail generation, progressive JPEG thumbnail generation, a new naming scheme which affects templates as well as a few long time bug fixes and more logically consistent reorganisation of the code. Please read the notes on upgrading as many things have changed in this release so a simple unzip and overwrite will most likely not work.

Also included is an experimental PEAR:big_smileB backend created by Joel Sjögren. To use it you must have PEAR:big_smileB already installed and edit a couple of lines in includes/singapore.class.php. Unfortunately I have not really used it and so cannot provide any support but try the new forum and maybe Joel or someone else will be able to help.

#3 2004-05-18 16:54:23

I'm not going to upgrade to 0.9.9 yet, but I wanted to say thanks for all your hard work in this script.

#4 2004-05-18 16:57:35

has the bug discussed here been fixed?
i know its not in the CHANGELOG, but since there were alot of organization changes, perhaps this got fixed along the way?

#5 2004-05-18 17:00:34

tamlyn
Lead Developer

has the bug discussed here been fixed?
i know its not in the CHANGELOG, but since there were alot of organization changes, perhaps this got fixed along the way?

It has not been fixed as I do not regard it as a bug. You can force thumb.php to only resize local images but that will prevent you from including remote images in your gallery.

If you are using Apache you can use .htaccess files to prevent remote access of thumb.php. Other servers may have equivalent options.

To be honest I can't really see why anyone would want to do this and appart from bandwidth use I don't see what harm it would cause.

#6 2004-05-23 20:16:18

TAMLYN
Thank you so much for updating the skript. I found everything working fine.
:arrow: Had to do some changes in the templates, but that is okay.

Thank you.

About chris's stuff: Well I don't think thats a bug you can do this w/ anyother image resizing system too.
You can prevent it in variuos ways and at least you always have the option of deleting the image. I think its even worse that you can download the image to a local machine and upload it to another website ;-)

thepavian

#7 2004-05-27 15:44:31

Its a very nice piece of software. I tried a dozen different scripts and none really worked. Most of them came with enormous features and install scripts etc.
But it never worked out. I also like the GD support because I cant use Netpbm oder imagemagick.

Singapore is a very neat, small and simple gallery script. I really like these aspects.

Thanks a lot

Paul

#8 2004-05-27 18:22:03

Hi there

I've just like to say thank you for such a wonderful script.  I've been using it now for about 8months on my own sites and also sites which I have created for organisations (my work being one) and its just so easy.  I recently upgraded my webserver (well changed hosts) so I now have SQL too (could of have before but I wasn't going to spend £75 a year on it) but even so, I'm still sticking with this as it's so easy to implement.  However, with that said, I can't wait to see DB integration come part of the package too as that will make it a very powerful tool for any webmaster!

Keep up the good work!
Andy T!  :shock: