singapore: the smallest big galery
home » forum » General » Thumbnail creation at every visit

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-09 23:39:11

hochers

Thumbnail creation at every visit

Hi,

I'm new here, so first thing: HELLO!!
I love this gallery, but I just got started. I'm not really in to php so be patient. So My problem:

I got 3 Folders up to know and everythiung worked fine. Today I created another Folder with just one image and my server is creating a new thumbnail everytime somebody views it. (slow server so large preview takes some time). But the thumbnails get create despite that they already exist. The new folder also is 777 so no write problems (also running new version of singapore with imagemagick 6 for thumbnailcreation)

I hope one can help me,

Thanks a lot

EDIT: It somehow got solved. Restarted my server and added other images to the folder. Now everything is working again

Last edited by hochers (2010-06-10 15:10:32)

#2 2010-06-11 09:28:09

hochers

Re: Thumbnail creation at every visit

Hewy its me again. Put in some new pictures and still got the problem. All the Thumbnails are created and in the _thumbs folder but when someone visits the gallery the thumbnails get build again. How can I stop that

EDIT: It seems to be a problem with some pictures because some work and some do not. I could figure out till now what the problem is, its not resolution, size, format...

I got no more ideas please help me smile

Last edited by hochers (2010-06-11 13:34:12)

#3 2010-06-14 11:36:46

hochers

Nobody any ideas?? it seems to hapen just with few pictures.

#4 2010-06-14 11:40:56

PrimaFoto

hochers,
Are you using the latest version of SGAL?
Are you using the file upload in the admin to add photos?
You should have to "Re index" the gallery after upload.

A Junior Scientist of the SGAL - Lab
http://sgal-lab.primaveraphoto.com

#5 2010-06-14 12:40:30

hochers

I use the newest version of sgal.
I upload the pictures with samba because the server its running on is a smal NAS. But the strange thing is that just some pictures just wont work. I ve tried to rename, resize save different .... I dont know whats wrong. Installed the gallery again, same problem

Please help desperatly wanna have this gallery because it is the best looking and just needs php and imagemagick.

#6 2010-06-14 15:21:25

hochers

I now know its somehow related with photoshop. because the out-of-cam-picture works fine. But why?? is there a difference in the jpgs??

#7 2010-06-15 21:28:27

DC
Administrator

Hi and yes, are you saving them as web jpg in photoshop.
Many times PS adds other headers and garbage to the file plus best compression for web will be with 'save for web' in PS, try that leme know. I have no probs with standard GD lib you should use that Image Magik may be too much overhead for a Samba based Minie win server..

So my opin is 2 fold you may have prob with the PS based jpg's or you may have prob with IM in general so try the test 2 ways try setting it up to use GD 2 and see if that works GD does provide very good quality and works great with php.

If that works without a hitch use GD.

As for your small win server they are not so great at resizing due to the amount of memory and resources it takes to resize images on a server.

Make sure your images are small in k from the get go, large images in qty will cause probs on a small Samba win server.

I have found Samba to be a lot slower then a PRO NIX box running Apache.

DC

To code or not to code that is the question?

Did my response help you out? Consider donating by buying me a slice, Whats this? Read More!
http://www.clickcraft.net/slice.php

#8 2010-07-06 12:18:45

PrimaFoto

hochers wrote:

I use the newest version of sgal.
I upload the pictures with samba because the server its running on is a smal NAS. But the strange thing is that just some pictures just wont work. I ve tried to rename, resize save different .... I dont know whats wrong. Installed the gallery again, same problem

Please help desperatly wanna have this gallery because it is the best looking and just needs php and imagemagick.

Have you tried uploading thru the Admin panel?

A Junior Scientist of the SGAL - Lab
http://sgal-lab.primaveraphoto.com

#9 2010-09-11 07:36:21

bobbymoore

Are you using the latest version of SGAL?

I use the newest version of sgal.I have found Samba to be a lot slower then a PRO NIX box running Apache.

Bobby Moore

#10 2010-09-14 02:01:31

DC
Administrator

Yup I consider that to be kind of a home box, it is very slow not even close to a pro nix box running Apache. try to dl a file its like downloading via a a pixi straw ...

also helps that a pro server is sitting on the pipe and has a ton of bandwidth available.

DC

To code or not to code that is the question?

Did my response help you out? Consider donating by buying me a slice, Whats this? Read More!
http://www.clickcraft.net/slice.php

#11 2011-03-04 04:59:25

alexsmth114

Excellent post, doesn't get better than this!!..