singapore: the smallest big galery
home » forum » Installation » Looking for help: session.save_path and upload_tmp_dir

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-29 01:16:00

foyle

Looking for help: session.save_path and upload_tmp_dir

In first place I installed Singapore in order to try it, on my local server and it works fine! Then I tryed to upload it on the server where my home pages is located, and I encountered the following error while trying to upload an image:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: imagecreatefromjpeg() in D:\inetpub\webs\omnialabcom\public\singapore\includes\thumbnail.class.php on line 171

Looking for answers I checked /install/install.php and it shows these errors:

01 Session save path does not exist or is not writable (session.save_path). Singapore will function but you may not be able to use the admin interface.
02 Upload directory directory does not exist or is not writable (upload_tmp_dir). Singapore will function but you may not be able to upload images via the admin interface.
03 GD not found. You may be able to use ImageMagick instead
04 ImageMagick not found but that doesn't mean it's not there. If it really is not available you may be able to install it yourself (even without shell access to the server).

I'm currendly hosted on a Windows server which does not have either CD or Imagemagick installed  and this explains me errors 3 amd 4: I could migrate for a small fee to a Linux server which does have those libraries.
But I'm unsure about the first two errors (session.save_path and upload_tmp_dir): what does they mean? I'm 100% sure the directory where I've uploaded Singapore has writing permissions so my humble guess is it may be something server side, is it possible? And if yes, is it something I may be able to face and fix migrating to a linux hosting server?
I have to admit my ignorance unfortunately, I'm just aware of the basics of PHP and I hardly can manage to write more than a php form :b

Anyway thanks in advance to everyone for your help and your patience!

#2 2007-11-29 07:29:24

DC
Administrator

Re: Looking for help: session.save_path and upload_tmp_dir

Ok you have many problems first you need GD to be able to create thumbs. The scripts set up is telling us you dont have that While many servers dont have image magick almost all good servers these days have GD2 or at least 1 so the fact you do not have any is not a good thing you will need to talk to your server company about that matter.

Upload dir the script somtimes detects this as a prob but many times it works fine.

I would say a nix box is your best choice sgal runs great on a a nix box I never tested it on a win box my self but I do not use or like windows based servers ... your best choice would most def be a nix box thats my opin ... I have seen nothing but problems with everything from mail scripts to gal scripts on a windows machine ... as far as fixing server side probs like that yourself not likly ...

Session path does not exist means you will need to give it a path I have a mod that helps with these probs if you still have them ...

So in my opin as long as your host says they have what SGAL needs to run then I would give the Linux version a shot! I can tell you this i have installed this on a lot of nix boxes and most of the time the script runs and sets up like a fine watch ...

DC

To code or not to code that is the question?

Did my response help you out? Consider donating by buying me a slice, Whats this? Read More!
http://www.clickcraft.net/slice.php

#3 2007-11-29 11:35:16

foyle

Unfortunately I can confirm I don't have either of those: this are some of the informations about different platform solutions of Aruba.it hosting: http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hostva8.jpg .
I will consider doing a migration, hopefully it will work on a linux platform: I'm really looking forward using it, it's an awesome script!

#4 2007-11-29 15:30:41

DC
Administrator

Looks fine but ...

the next thing you must ask them, and its never listed is safe_mode MUST BE OFF if it is not you will mostlikely have problems.

Please ask your host if it is OFF!

DC

Did my response help you out? Consider donating by buying me a slice, Whats this? Read More!

#5 2007-11-29 17:43:51

pavian

Hmm, you will need GD or Imagemagic for any PHP-Driven Image gallery... however, seeing this I recommend to switch to a more modern hoster anyway.

About session.save_path and upload_tmp_dir - you can also ask your hoster for a phpinfo file

#6 2011-03-18 07:26:06

im sorry is this post still alive? i having the same situation with my server

#7 2011-03-27 17:08:36

DC
Administrator

Is safe_mode off on your server?

DC